Saturday, August 11, 2007

The days after Ironman

Once we got back to the hotel (well after midnight), I took a warm bath to help with the leg cramps. Yeesh they were bad this time. I went to bed, but was only able to get a small amount of sleep due to the legs cramping up all night.

Fortunately the next day I had schedualed a post race massage. Yessss did that ever help. Before, my quads and hams were just giving me fits and making it difficult to walk. However after the massage, I was able to shuffle around better, albeit slowly. At the sight for the massage was the awards banquet. Since I was a participant, I was able to go and see what they had for grub (part of my entry fee). Curious to see what my money went towards, I walked into the tent. I was a tad astonished what I saw, but not necessarily surprised. Keep in mind the triathlete moto is 'to lead a healthy life' or something like that. YOu would think that they would have some nice fresh fruit or maybe whole grain something, but no. What was available for the athlete was an omlete with a big chunk of cheese in it, french toast, pastries, pasta salad, more gaterade, orange juice (like the ones they serve at school), ham, oily potatoes. Seeing this I was really glad we did not buy Tim a ticket ($30 yikes!)

After the massage, we went and walked around town. Walking around afterwards is a great way to start your recovery. Found some light grub then caught a movie. Went back to the hotel after a late dinner and watched the TdF and planned out our next few days. We decided to stay through Tuesday night at that hotel. Fortunately I had made enough green smoothies to get me through the next couple of days.


On Tuesday, we made the drive up to the Ausable Chasm. It was about an hours drive through the Adirondaks. The Ausable is on the New York side of Lake Champlain. It is a very beautiful area and well worth visiting.









As you can see, have smoothies and will travel!














We walked about 6 miles that day. We meet another IMLP competitor while there. He commented that I was sure moving pretty well since the IM. He was really limping along. I suggested to him to get a light massage. I am now more than certain and will advocate that a post race massage does wonders for the body. Of course one should not doubt the power of green smoothies!

Some more nice views of the area. One a couple of them, you are going to have to rotate them in your mind. Have not figured out how to do that on blogger yet!









On Wednesday we checked out of the hotel then went a few miles down the road to High Falls Gorge. Spent a couple of hours there walking around and taking photos. We walked probably around 3 miles.

Again, another smoothie shot. Oh yeah, gimme those lovely greens! And the waterfall was great also



















No comments: