Wednesday, August 15, 2007

More fun down at the Farm and other stuff

Wow this is a record for me. Consistant blogging. I really never kept a journal so this is a new experience. Actually I am taking a break from working on my poster and slide show for the Boston ACS meeting.

Our CSA has three pick up days: Sat, Tue, and Thur. I ususally go on Saturday to get the majority of our share. Then we go again on Tuesday to buy extra lettuce and greens to round out the week. Sometimes on Tuesday, I will do the pick your own crops, get flowers, and herbs. This Tuesday I was just planning on getting some more lettuce and flowers. But the shop must have sensed me coming because there was an unlimited supply of second tomatoes. And you guessed it, I brought home not one, but close to two flats of tomatoes. We really enjoyed the Tomato Bisque, so I thought I would try canning it. This meant going and picking some more parsley and basil.

Thought I processed all the tomatoes last night, I did not get to do the actual canning . (I had to get back to the lab and take care of an experiment).
The mixture needs to cook down more and I need to check about adding lemon juice ( tomatoes are on the cusp of being acidic enough for canning). With all of the ingredients, I filled my 7 quart PC to the brim! So tonight I am going to cook it down in batches and hopefully start the canning process. Nothing like homemade tomato soup on a cold New England night!

1 comment:

JOCELYN said...

Hey Rocky I decided to check out you blog and loved reading about your ETL journey.
Thank you for detailing you triatholon event earlier in the year. I laboured with you up those hills on the run. I'm glad that you finished within you targeted timeframe. Well done.
Jocelyn